Rules and Guidelines
By participating in the American Songwriting Awards, all entrants agree to and shall abide by the following rules and guidelines.
1. The American Songwriting Awards is an open competition for both amateur and professional songwriters. Entries may be submitted through our online submission process or post-marked via mail on or via FilmFreeway. The online submission process can be started here.
2. The entry fee must be submitted as an online transaction during the entry process. We accept payment via credit card or PayPal.
3. There are no age limits to qualify for entry into the contest except for entrants in the Teen category. Entrants into the Teen category must be under 18 years old by their chosen entry deadline. Minors must have the permission of their parent or legal guardian to enter.
4. Employees of the American Songwriting Awards and their immediate families are ineligible to participate in this contest. Any such submission will be immediately invalidated. In addition, this contest is VOID WHERE PROHIBITED or restricted by any Federal, State or Local law.
5. Multiple submissions are allowed. Each song must be submitted separately with its own entry and entry fee. Submissions of the same song may also be entered under separate categories during a single entry process for an additional fee of $10 per additional entry category. Each category will have its own winners and finalists along with the contest's Grand Prize Winner for Best Overall Song.
6. No submission material will be returned.
7. Any and all submissions must be original compositions and the sole work of the creator(s) listed. All entries must not be in violation of any copyright laws, trademarks, intellectual property rights or basic ethical standards of amateur or professional songwriting. Any entry found to be in violation of the above or proven to be plagiarized in any way will be immediately disqualified. Furthermore, the American Songwriting Awards shall in no way be held liable for any such legal action that results from unlawful or restricted submissions.
8. The purpose of this contest is to judge entries solely on the quality of the song or lyrics. Do not submit with your entry any pitches, testimonials, singer recommendations, links or any other documentation wishing to support your entry. Such material received will be ignored.
9. Be sure your song or lyrics are perfect upon submission. No revisions or alterations to the entry will be accepted once the contestant has completed the submission process.
10. All creators of any submission must be listed in the entry process. Up to 4 creators may be listed and only a single entry fee is required. Any creator may complete the entry process and will be listed as the primary contact for the submission. Upon submitting the entry, all creators listed agree to the terms of the contest. Prizes such as cash and hotel accommodations are fixed and do not multiply for multiple creators of a single submission. Meetings with music executives may be limited to two creators at the discretion of the executive providing the meeting. All other decisions of division of awards and prizes are left to the discretion of the individual contestants and their agreements among themselves.
11. Songs uploaded through the online submission system must be in one of the following formats: MP3, WAV, MOV, or MP4. All lyrics must be uploaded in one of the following file types: PDF, DOC, RTF.
12. Songs entries or contestants that have current or pending contracts placed on them at the time of their submission cannot be entered into the Unsigned Category.
13. All rights to submitted songs and lyrics are retained by their creator(s) and/or entrants. ASA will not reproduce any submission for the purposes of sale and does not claim any ownership or rights to any entry whatsoever. You remain the owner of your work.
14. All contestants have the option of featuring their songs on the Winners pages of the ASA website. This is entirely up to the entrant and can be removed from the website at any time at the request of the entrant or winner. This will be for marketing and promotional purposes only and no songs will ever be sold by ASA.
15. It is acknowledged that similar beats, notes, sounds, lyrics or other elements may be embodied in more than one submission and any overlap of such reasonably shared elements do not entitle any entrant to any compensation or credit.
16. Once the submission process is completed and the entry is finalized no refunds for the entry fee will be given.
17. ASA reserves the right to extend entry deadlines and/or change submission fees and make any necessary changes, postponements or cancellations in event scheduling. Individual entry fees are final upon registration and payment.
18. ASA will directly notify winners and finalists only. Winners will be informed via email or phone. ASA is not responsible for any Federal, State or Local Taxes or international customs costs. Prizes will be issued to winners within 30 days of the Awards Show.
19. Entrant acknowledges that all songs entered may be distributed to judges who will be selecting the winners, and Entrant agrees to release, indemnify, and hold ASA, its sponsors, and judges harmless for all liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in ASA.
20. By entering the American Songwriting Awards, entrant and/or their parents or legal guardian (if such entrant is a minor) agree to accept and be bound by the decisions of ASA and its judges which are final and binding in all matters. Entrant agrees to be bound by all terms of these official Rules And Regulations.
Ready to enter the contest? Click on the button below to begin the simple entry process.